Friday, October 06, 2017

Recent Readings

Lately I've been reading my "new" comics in batches. Usually this amounts to a stack of 3 or 4 mini-series, some that have been out for a while, that I've recently purchased. I'm really enjoying the current group so I thought I'd share what they are. Just in case someone out there is looking for something good to pick up.


Wytches

Not necessarily a big Scott Snyder fan (I haven't read any of his Batman or anything else for that matter) but I tend to love horror comics and had heard some good things so when I came across all six issues cheap, I thought I'd give it a try and I'm glad I did. The story is creepy, the art by Jock is too, and it's not what I expected at all. Dark and disturbing - very good stuff.


Captain Victory

I love pretty much anything from Joe Casey (easily in my top 3 writers list) and this seemed like a concept right in his wheelhouse. The art is by numerous artists and not at all like most of the current "popular" stuff that people seem to like. Since I can't stand most of that, this is a good thing. This reminds me how much I miss "Godland". Cosmic and big-picture in all the right ways


Kings Watch

Another writer I will follow almost anywhere (Jeff Parker). Not particularly a fan of these characters but I trusted Jeff to make them interesting and he delivered. Just plain old pulp fun.

... and one last second addition to the group...


Mysterius the Unfathomable

Somehow I missed this when it first came out and I'm so glad I finally came across it. More great writing by Jeff Parker and some unbelievable art by Tom Fowler. I'm not sure what to compare this to - Doctor Strange by way of Mad magazine maybe? That doesn't really do it justice though. Highly recommended.

No comments: